Friday, May 27, 2011

#23 - Summary

I finally finished this exercise. It surely took a lots of my time in the evenings.

I really liked Flickr, RSS, the Image Generator and YouTube. I now know what all these new web-based technologies are about and can use them in real life. I've learned a lot from this training, even though at times I felt overwhelmed and frustrated. I also felt that I need to sharpen up my skills with all these new technologies and be more familiar with them in order to help customers in the library. However, I think some of the "things" here will not be relevant in the long run. For example, Podcast is of limited use since it is a speaking presentation and hence labor intensive. I think that is why Yahoo discontinued it a few years ago. The same is for audiobook. It is easy to create an ebook but you need a (expensive) good narrator to make the listening of a story enjoyable. The children audiobook I listened to is very good since the narrator's performance can draw the attention of a child.

I hope next time if the County offers a program like this, the sites would stay in working order for a longer period of time. For example, the Public Work's sandbox is no longer available.

No comments:

Post a Comment